Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Aoife evaluation




From doing this film I’ve learned several things to help me understand how to create a short film and the several things involved in creating one and more in the future, a few things I feel were key was Scheduling this is an important aspect in the pre-production of the filming as this a large part of how the film will turn out, if no one in the team sticks to the schedule them the filming will fall apart this leads on another important topic teamwork, teamwork is vital when doing group filming as everyone needs to get involved as there would be far too much work for someone to do individually in the time we had to do it. Teamwork is needed for pre-production, production and post-production. Everyone in the group needs to be focused throughout and work together to complete deadlines. We had times when our timing nearly failed but we managed to get it all done I believe this is because of planning I put into it.


As a group the majority of the time we worked well as a team and got all the work done so we didn’t find we had many problems none that we couldn’t make right or solve anyway.


 


I feel like the pre-production was definitely the hardest part of the work as at certain times the group fell behind although we managed to make up for it it was still a stressful time as we had tight deadlines to reach with also the fact we still had to film and edit, Although we managed to do it all I can appreciate my strengths of being able to create the work that was due in time and make up other peoples missing work.


 


I believe my first attempt of the shooting schedule wasn’t as realistic as my next one as I wouldn’t have had enough time to film outside of college as originally planned as successfully as the film in college. As I decided to film in college I felt calmed and relaxed and didn’t stress or such as I had plenty of time to really think through my ideas. Although the shooting schedule gave us a good idea of where to film and what shots would be used in each segment .so I would say it was effective just not as realistic as we originally planned.


Although the film wasn’t five minutes long the storyboard gave a good guidance into the location and order of location, from looking at the storyboard I could identify from the pictures the best area of the location for filming for example the counselling room had a bulletin board with many posters of mental illness pinned onto it, I felt this would be a better back drop for filming compared to the other blank wall in the room, that’s why I took a picture of the specific area.Next time I feel I would work more on the storyboard to add more shots to lengthen the film time.


 


The shot list was a detailed guidance on what angle would be used for each shot this wasn’t as effective as I had planned while writing a detailed explanation for all the angles I wanted to use for each shot when it came to the actual filming I found that I improvised on many of the shots to what I felt would look good from watching and guiding Micah the talent, I feel the shot list would have been more effective if we had rehearsed beforehand and fit them in accordingly.


 


I was in charge of doing the recee, I went to all the locations to ensure they would be suitable for filming I looked out for lighting as there is no natural light in either of the locations. we used the ceiling light if the ceiling light was not effective I would have had to use the overhead media lights. I also had to be aware of background noise as the counselling room is near the canteen, I made sure I filmed during lesson time for as little background noise as possible, I also used a sign to say filming in progress please use other toilets so no one came into the toilets mid filming. I got permission from Mr. Kelly to film the counselling room.


 


The original actor Chillapi was unavailable for filming so I had to make the quick decision to use Micah for the filming as I knew she had done media gcse, also were she is in my group she had a good idea of the film and would take instructions from me the director what to do when filming.This was an effective decision as she did everything I thought she would and helped me to create the film I wanted.


I feel the production roles were effective for the role each person was given for example me doing all the filming and being the director worked well as I could give clear instructions of what needed to be done in a calm mannor so everyone could get the work done and enjoy themselves at the same time, I designated Melissa the role of production manager as I knew she was responsible ad would get on with it. Micah was a brilliant actor and really brought the film together better than anyone else would of.


The equipment was key in the production as if we had been given a faulty camera and not have checked this would of severely delayed the schedule of filming as the camera would of needed to be replaced and charged, I ensured the camera was checked beforehand with Mr.French, I also requested a suitable camera stand that would be flexable for our varity of shots which it proved to be.


 


Although we did a call sheet it fell through on the day of filming as I had to wait an hour for everyone to show up, I could of avoided this by making it more realistic and checking with everyone beforehand instead of just expecting everyone to be in college as everyone had different lesson times.


 


Overall I feel my short film was effective due to teamwork and not getting stressed when things went wrong, from doing this short film I’ve learned lots of new skills to help me with future media productions and films, doing this task in a team allows you to appreciate other peoples strengths and weaknesses and what you can learn and gain from them. I felt I would struggle more with the actual filming and editing than the pre-production work but I found it was the opposite next time I will allow myself more time for the pre-production work as this is what I found I struggled most with while finding the filming and editing both easy and fun.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment